Monday, March 12, 2012

the fourth branch of government.

I remember all those years in elementary school that drilled in the concept of the judicial, executive, and legislative branches. Three branches, working together so that none have more power than another. And then along trotted college where I received the sad lesson that I didn't know everything, not even about concepts I had known  practically forever (such as the three branches of government).

One of my first communications classes told me that there was a fourth branch of the government: journalism. Its role? To be a watchdog. And that's when the career of journalism got even more appealing for me.

So what role, then, does journalism have in relation to democracy?

Ummm. Everything? 

So many facets of journalism are such an essential aspect of democracy and government. Perhaps the most important, in my opinion, is that journalism is there to serve the people. It provides information and often, if not always, interprets and analyzes this information for the audience. Democracy is a government based off of the peoples' wants and desires and decisions. Journalism makes it possible for citizens to be informed and to take action. It facilitates communication, just as it always has and always will, no matter the medium.

No comments:

Post a Comment